300 BC to 700 AD approximately
The Negev functions as a bridge for nomads who travel from the Arabian Peninsula and the Horn of Africa to the Mediterranean sea.
During the British Mandate, agricultural areas in the Negev were cultivated by Bedouins.
Establishment of Kibbutz Mashabei Sadeh in the northwest of the area.
On the eve of the Independence War, 70,000 Bedouins lived in the Negev, and in 1951 – 13,000 Bedouins.
The end of the Independence War.
Establishment of the “Independence Camp” for workers engaged in paving the road to Eilat (inaugurated in 1958).
First activity of members of Kibbutz Sde Boker in the area.
Kibbutz Sde Boker acquires “Independence Camp”; The “Even Vasid” gypsum quarry is operated in Ramon Crater.
Settlers Cooperative, “The Cooperative Agricultural Association in Mitzpe Ramon” headed by Hagai Avriel (Sde Boker) rises to the ground. The families of the founders join in December.
Construction of the Eilat-Ashkelon oil pipeline; Completion of forty housing units in Mitzpe Ramon.
Dissolution of the “Cooperative Agricultural Association in Mitzpe Ramon” and its replacement by a municipal authority. The locality becomes a development town that absorbs immigrants from different countries; Construction of a gypsum crematorium in Ramon Crater.
Birth of Ramon, the first child in the locality.
Establishment of the industrial area that was later abandoned and became the “perfume road district”, which is now used as a creative space.
Establishment of a clinic; Sources of employment: “Clay and pure sand” and “limestone” factories, including a quarry and a gypsum crematorium.
Inauguration of the “Meeting of the Nabataeans” inn on the edge of Ramon Crater.
June 15, 1961
An event “Five years to Mitzpe Ramon”, in which the “Grove of the Century” was planted to mark the first hundred families in the locality; 370 residents, including 160 children, 110 housing units, another 180 – under construction, and 100 in planning.
The core of the cooperative city (Air Force veterans) rises to the ground.
The sculpture garden was founded on the edge of Ramon Crater; Moshe Glazer is appointed Secretary of the Workers’ Council; An automatic telephone exchange is opened for thirty telephone subscribers in the locality.
Dismantling the core of the cooperative city; Dov Hershkovitz was elected chairman of the first local committee.
The locality is declared a local council; Uri Welch was elected chairman of the council and served until 1968.
Immigrants from North Africa and Romania arrive in the settlement.
The Arava road to Eilat was opened, effectively disconnecting the settlement from the main traffic route to the south of the country.
The IDF officers’ school, BHD 1, is moving to the Mitzpe Ramon area.
Zvi Hazan was elected head of the local council and served until 1973; Katyushas fell on Mitzpe Ramon.
Establishment of the Florence and George Wise Observatory; the settlement numbers about 1400 people.
The establishment of the “Independence” sewing workshop, which over the years has become a symbol of the struggle to create jobs in the locality.
Eliyahu Shapira was elected chairman of the local council and served until 1968; Establishment of the first youth hostel.
Egged stops bus travel through Mitzpe Ramon to and from Eilat.
The peace agreement with Egypt leads to the establishment of military bases in the Negev and to demographic strengthening.
Establishment of a Torah nucleus headed by Rabbi Zvi Kostiner; The settlement numbers 3,000 people.
Immigrants from Ethiopia and the Soviet Union arrive at Mitzpe Ramon.
Sami Shoshan was elected chairman of the local council and served until 1998.
A “coexistence” event initiated by the Artists Museum was held in the abandoned industrial area and brings more artists from various fields to live and work there.
Dror Dbesh was elected chairman of the local council and served until 2003.
Establishment of the “Adama” hangar of the dance troupe of Liat Dror and Nir Ben Gal (operating there until 2016).
Closing the “Independence” sewing workshop. The 57 laid-off seamstresses are fortified in the factory for six weeks. After a struggle, they open the “Mitzpe Atzmaut” sewing workshop with the help of the Histadrut.
The “South” documentary series by Julie Shalev and Doron Tsabari is screened, which deals with the story of the seamstress and seamstress.
Sami Shoshan was elected chairman of the local council and will serve until 2006; Vicky Knafo sets out as a leader in the struggle of single mothers for a protest march to Jerusalem.
Flora Shoshan is elected chairman of the local council and will serve until 2013.
The Nabataean “Spice Road” in the Negev has been declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.
A magazine for culture, society, and the environment, “Road 40” (published until January 2015), was founded.
The “Bereishit” hotel of the “Isrotel” chain is located on the edge of the crater; Approved by the government a “Prawer plan” to regulate Bedouin settlement in the Negev; The “HaAgala” cooperative (an independent neighborhood supermarket) and the “Youth Center” are established.
Roni Marom was elected chairman of the local council; An Ilan Ramon memorial site is located inside the Ramon Crater Visitor Center; the McCann Valley advertising agency is located in the locality; the construction of an airstrip north of the locality is approved.
The Mitzpeh residents’ magazine was founded; Establishment of the Yael Keren Internet radio station “Grandma”; the “Desert” event was held in the Negev region.
The settlement numbers 5,500 people.
Celebrating 60 years of settlement in Mitzpe Ramon.